Colecção Can the Can
Victorian Trade Cards da Real Fábrica de Conservas de Mattosinhos • Jane Margyl
Lopes, Coelho Dias & Cª Ltda
Matosinhos • Portugal
Size 5 cm x 8 cm
Victorian Trade Card
Victorian trade cards are an early form of collectible advertising. Trade cards originated in England in the 1700s with tradesmen advertising their wares. But the advent of lithography in the 1870s made it possible to mass-produce them in color, leading to a golden age from 1876 to the early 1900s when halftone printed newspaper and magazine ads became more economical. Trade cards typically had a picture on one side and an ad on the other. There were custom cards printed for specific products, and stock cards which could be used for any product. Trade cards were popular for medicines, sewing, and farm equipment, and a range of other products.
Jane Margyl was a mezzo-soprano. She performed at the Folies-Bergère in 1897 and debuted at the Opéra-Comique in Paris next to Emma Calvé in 1902. She debuted on 22 May 1905 at the Opera in Paris as Delilah in “Samson et Dalila” by Saint-Saëns. In 1906 she performed the parts of Amneris (in “Aida”) and Fricka (in “Die Walküre) at the same house. Little is known of her further career.
After her death in 1934 she was buried at the Batignolles cemetery in Paris where François-Léon Sicard created her monument.